Monday, July 7, 2014

Ruth Mountain in the Clouds

I've lived in a good climate, and it bores the hell out of me.  I like weather rather than climate.
                                             - John Steinbeck


This weekend I set out to climb Icy Peak, via a traverse of Ruth Mountain in the North Cascades.  Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate with an attempt to descend from Ruth to the glacier on the way to the spires of Icy.  Wind, rain, and whiteout conditions made navigation too risky to justify continuing beyond the summit of Ruth Mountain.  But while marginal weather makes for poor mountaineering, it makes for great stories and pictures.

Thanks to Frank and the Tacoma Mountaineers for having me on your climb.











































No comments:

Post a Comment